Child Development Program
Child Development is a 5 credit elective in the Family & Consumer Sciences Department that introduces high school level students to the child education and care profession through a careful, psychology-grounded study of child development. It is designed to increase understanding of the basic concepts of child development and the developmental characteristics of children. This course is the foundation for planning appropriate activities for children and establishing appropriate expectations of children, while offering an opportunity to study the various developmental domains (social, emotional, cognitive/language and physical). As part of the course, under the direction of a qualified teacher, there are regular opportunities for high school students to observe and interact with three and four year old children in our community in an early childhood setting of lesson planning, free play, child-to-child & child-to-teen interaction.
Class Objectives for High School Students
This program will provide career orientation that will benefit students planning a career
in early childhood education or working in a childcare facility.
To provide students with an opportunity for applying theory learned in the classroom
To help students use instructional strategies found effective in early childhood education
Goal for Preschoolers:
To provide a developmentally appropriate, hands-on learning environment that is not a pre-school but an opportunity to promote social, emotional, cognitive, and physical growth in preparation for formal schooling.
PLEASE NOTE :
- Your child must be toilet trained.
- Preschool classes are held Tues., Wed., Thurs. from October to June
- Letter of acceptance or wait list information will be sent by June for the following October
- Your interest is appreciated and patience welcomed as classes are formed based on high school student enrollment in the program.
- Program is available to FLOW (Franklin Lakes, Wyckoff, Oakland) residents
- You may register your child by completing the application
- Application Form
- Media Release Form
- Medical Enrollment Forms *
- Preschool Student Background Form
- Select Ramapo Child Development
- School Year attending
- "CD" as anticipated grade level
Ramapo Indian Hills School Calendar - Download
*Please note: documentation is required of your preschooler receiving the influenza
vaccine for the school year, to comply with state mandates
For any additional information
331 George St.
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417